What is the Outlook for Schizophrenia?
Table of Contents
- An Introduction to Schizophrenia
- Symptoms of Schizophrenia
- Causes of Schizophrenia
- Treatment of Schizophrenia
- Getting Help for Schizophrenia
- What is the Outlook for Schizophrenia?
- Further Information
- Latest News and Research on Schizophrenia
The outlook for people with schizophrenia has
improved over the last 30 years. Although no totally effective therapy has yet been
devised, it is important to remember that many people with the illness improve enough to
lead independent, satisfying lives. As we learn more about the causes and treatments of
schizophrenia, we should be able to help more patients achieve successful outcomes.
Studies that have followed people with schizophrenia for long periods, from the first episode to old age, reveal that a wide range of outcomes is possible. When large groups of patients are studied, certain factors tend to be associated with a better outcome for example, a pre-illness history of normal social, school, and work adjustment. However, the current state of knowledge, does not allow for a sufficiently accurate prediction of long-term outcome.
Given the complexity of schizophrenia, the major questions about this disorder its cause or causes, prevention, and treatment must be addressed with research. The public should beware of those offering "the cure" for (or "the cause" of) schizophrenia. Such claims can provoke unrealistic expectations that, when unfulfilled, lead to further disappointment. Although progress has been made toward better understanding and treatment of schizophrenia, continued investigation is urgently needed. As the lead Federal agency for research on mental disorders, NIMH conducts and supports a broad spectrum of mental illness research from molecular genetics to large-scale epidemiologic studies of populations. It is thought that this wide-ranging research effort, including basic studies on the brain, will continue to illuminate processes and principles important for understanding the causes of schizophrenia and for developing more effective treatments.
- Learn more about the General Symptoms of Schizophrenia
- Discover additional Treatment Options for Schizophrenia available
- Read the free encyclopedia entry on Schizophrenia
- Learn more about what family members need to know
- Read the latest News and Research on Schizophrenia
- Find out about other schizophrenia Online Resources
- Join our very own schizophrenia and psychosis Support Group
- Back to the Schizophrenia Introduction