Because of this interest, I was intrigued to come across the Psychopathic Personality Inventory, a personality test for traits associated with psychopathy (link to actual quiz below).
I think that we can all agree that one thing that does not contribute to a happy life is a relationship with a psychopath. But what traits are associated with psychopaths?
The test seeks to measure:
- Social influence — a tendency to seem charming, persuasive
- Fearlessness — a tendency to embrace risk without fear or anxiety
- Stress immunity — stays cool in difficult circumstances
- Machiavellian egocentricity — a tendency to consider only personal needs
- Rebellious nonconformity — a tendency to neglect of social conventions and regulations
- Blame externalization — a tendency to assign blame for problems or obstacles to other people
- Carefree lack of planning — limited willingness to make future plans
- Cold-heartedness — no guilt or remorse
People throw around the terms “sociopath” and “psychopath” quite frequently, but these are technical terms with very specific meanings. That said, if there’s someone in your life who seems to show many of the above traits, it might be useful to reflect on that.
Do you know anyone who fits these traits? To my great relief, I realize, I don’t.
In my research for Before and After, I’ve identified eighteen strategies for changing habits, and one of the most well-known and popular is the Strategy of Monitoring. If, like me, you get a kick out of monitoring yourself, check out Quantified Self–“self knowledge through numbers.”
Want to volunteer as a Super-Fan? From time to time, I’ll send you a little extra something, or ask for your help–nothing too onerous, I promise. Sign up here.
This post currently has
You can read the comments or leave your own thoughts.
Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 6 Dec 2013
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.
Rubin, G. (2013). How to Spot a Psychopath. Psych Central. Retrieved on March 2, 2015, from http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2013/12/06/how-to-spot-a-psychopath/