9 Practical and Spiritual Tips for Letting Go of Unhealthy Attachments
6. Consider learning more about the character of God.
It is a wonderful thing to have a personal connection with the Creator of the world who loves each of us personally. I would encourage you to pray and ask God to show you more about Him and what you can have with Him.
There is a feeling of deep comfort, healing and peace that we can have with God, if we are open and seeking it. Many of us have more to learn about the depth of God’s love and His unconditional kindness toward us. It is worth the effort because this love can truly nourish us within as well as teach us how to love ourselves.
7. Practice a thankful attitude.
Put together a gratitude list that you can add to every day. This is a neat thing to do that cultivates a spirit of thankfulness and brings in a sense of joy. Consider all the small things you take for granted and them write down, as you really think about why you are glad to have these things.
It could be something as seemingly small as a comfortable, warm bed or your favorite meal you could prepare that night. Imagine places or people that don’t have what you have.
8. Be around support.
Make sure that you are taking time to meet with friends and family, at this time especially. Choose people you feel comfortable around and can share your heart with. Even if it is just to go out and not talk about your situation, it is very helpful to be distracted in healthy ways.
Just be aware and encourage yourself to seek out people rather than being alone. It won’t help you to sit around alone all the time. Even if you feel like doing it, there are times you must remind yourself that you will be glad to get out.
9. Take care of yourself physically.
Just as the mind can affect the body, and negative thoughts can make us tired and anxious, so the body can affect the mind. You will be not quite as strong mentally if you are feeling bad physically. And it is hard to move forward and not want to be apathetic or stay stuck when you feel like laying around all day.
Think of outlets for your stress and ways to strengthen your body. Here are some suggestions:
- Exercise.We have all heard about the unparalleled benefit to exercise. It gets more oxygen to your body, makes your organs work better and raises your endorphins, to name a few. Try aerobic exercise (like brisk walking, jogging, etc) at least a few times a week for about 20 minutes. Exercise is also great for clearing the mind, which you certainly need in times of letting go.
- Watch your diet.Although the recent research on the need for multivitamins has been mixed, you can’t go wrong by making sure you follow a largely whole-food, largely plant-derived diet. Add in animal protein — no larger than the size of a deck of cards — twice a day. Fish is particularly good for your mental processes.
- Breathe deeply throughout the day. Many of us are not aware of our tendencies to take shallow breaths, but it’s important to start paying attention to your breathing. Taking deep breaths can truly calm down not only your body, but your mind as well. Also be aware of any muscles you feel tensing throughout the day, and purposely release them.
It’s a Process
We tend to want change to happen right away. But be patient with yourself. If you fall back from time to time, don’t get discouraged. This is a step-by-step journey. Get up and move forward again. You have never lost your prior successes even if you have a slipup.
Instead of looking at this time as a negative thing, look at the beauty of it. Every challenge we face is only a wonderful opportunity for us to discover the life we were intended to have. Just as a caterpillar has to struggle before it becomes a butterfly, we often are faced with a similar process toward transformation. But it is a good thing. And the end result is always worth it.
Mazarin, J. (2012). 9 Practical and Spiritual Tips for Letting Go of Unhealthy Attachments. Psych Central. Retrieved on February 14, 2016, from http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2012/08/20/9-practical-and-spiritual-tips-for-letting-go-of-unhealthy-attachments/