Key Questions to Ask When Choosing a Therapist
Background and credentials aren’t the only things to consider when hiring a therapist. There are other key factors to take into account. These factors center on an important piece of the therapeutic puzzle: having a good fit between client and therapist.
“A therapist who is effective and compatible with one person may not be with another person,” according to authors Robert W. Firestone, Ph.D, Lisa Firestone, Ph.D, and Joyce Catlett, MA, in their book Conquer Your Critical Inner Voice.
The authors suggest asking yourself these questions during and after your first session:
- Did you feel heard by the therapist?
- Did you feel like the therapist respected you?
- Was the therapist condescending?
- Did the therapist seem like a real person or were they playing a role?
- Was the therapist passive or active in the session? What do you like better?
- Does it seem like the therapist will be open to hearing about all your feelings, including frustrated feelings relating to them?
- Did the therapist have a positive outlook on life?
- Did you feel better or worse after the session?
- Did you feel comfortable with the therapist?
- Does this seem like a safe place to express your thoughts, concerns and feelings?
Questions about Approach
Also key is knowing precisely how the potential therapist plans on helping you. The authors suggest asking the following:
- What do you think is the goal of the therapy?
- What is your approach?
- What methods do you employ?
- What’s the number of sessions you think we’ll need?
- What’s expected from me? (For instance, are there homework assignments?)
As you’re listening to the therapist’s responses, consider if you’re comfortable with what they say. And don’t hesitate to ask any other questions you need to in order to figure out if this therapist is right for you.
Check out these other pieces on finding a clinician:
- How to Choose a Therapist and Other Frequently Asked Questions Answered
- 10 Ways to Find a Good Therapist
- How Do You Find a Good Therapist? An Interview with Dr. John Grohol
Learn more about the authors and their work at glendon.org.
What do you think is key in finding a good fit?
What questions do you suggest asking a potential therapist?
Tartakovsky, M. (2012). Key Questions to Ask When Choosing a Therapist. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 4, 2015, from http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2012/08/14/key-questions-to-ask-when-choosing-a-therapist/