I’ve just started trying to come up with a list of the bare minimum of things we should do every day to be happy and healthy.
This list doesn’t include major challenges, like “Quit smoking.” Obviously, quitting smoking is very important for health, but it’s not easy to add to a to-do list. This list doesn’t include items like “Spend less time on the internet” or “Read more” because they aren’t universal enough. This list also doesn’t include items related to attitude: gratitude, cheerfulness, and the like. These are very concrete, very essential things to do as part of the everyday routine.
Here’s what I’ve come up with so far…
- Wear your seat belt
- Take prescriptions medications properly
- Go for a ten-minute walk (preferably outside)
- Put your keys and wallet away in the same place
- Take something with you (for instance, drop your dirty socks in the hamper on your way from your bedroom to the kitchen)
- Charge your phone
- Connect with someone close to you
- Go to bed in time to get a good night’s sleep
As less crucial, but also highly advisable…
- Make your bed
- Kiss every member of your family
- Sign the organ donor registry or tell your family you’d want to be a donor
What else would you add? I know I’m missing many items.
I love looking at the beautiful images on House of Brinson.
This post currently has
You can read the comments or leave your own thoughts.
Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 28 Feb 2012
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.
Rubin, G. (2012). An Incomplete List of Daily Things to Be Happy, Healthy. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 23, 2013, from http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2012/02/29/an-incomplete-list-of-daily-things-to-be-happy-healthy/