Who doesn’t love a good list? A top ten, a series of bullets, it’s easy to peruse. I’ve just read a list of red flag warning signs for mania from About.com and though I agree with their points, I have more of my own. Your mileage may vary.
Signs of Mania
- Pink and orange predominate wardrobe and tastes in general.
- Waking up, untired, three hours after 1000+ mg of drugs meant to keep you asleep. Doses that would sedate a horse don’t faze you.
- Doing someone else’s laundry (like, three loads, including folding).
- Cosmetics, decorations, jewelry, and adornments of all sorts dazzle and beckon. Ooh, shiny!
- Spending on any old/odd/ooh thing without noticing costs or thinking ahead about financial repercussions.
- Singing aloud at random, without being an American Idol contestant or even a karaoke lounge lizard.
- Being scantily clad, despite mortifying medication weight gain, in cool weather.
- Galumphing through thunderstorms, laughing, mouth opened wide to collect raindrops.
- Bickering and snarking over insignificant things, irritation beyond sense.
- Everyone is your friend. You are love.
What to do if you have these signs? The usual line is to see your doctor. I’ll reiterate that, but also note that it’s important to practice self-care and rely on your support network during this time. Someone to hang on to your credit cards? Someone to veto your wardrobe choices? Someone to keep you out of the rain without protection? This kind of help may be as practical as getting more or different meds. I know I could sure use someone to supervise my shopping. Yesterday’s damage was MAC Royal Wink blue Fluidline cream eyeliner, in a spiffy little jar.
These are things I do not care about most of the time, but during these manic episodes they emerge like showy butterflies.
This post currently has
You can read the comments or leave your own thoughts.
Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 5 Jun 2007
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.
Iris, C. (2007). Signs of Mania. Psych Central. Retrieved on September 1, 2014, from http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2007/06/05/signs-of-mania/