Personality put to test in hiring screenings

The 10 young men and women were there to impress.

Decked out in their best suits, they were vying for hourly work as sales associates, ride operators, drivers and cooks at Universal Studios Hollywood theme park and its adjoining retail unit. When asked their favorite movies, they mentioned ones they knew were produced by Universal. When asked what they detested most about their previous jobs, they said not much. And when asked what single word would describe them best, several quickly offered “happy.”

On the surface, they all seemed promising. But recruiter Nathan Giles knew better.

Even before the candidates had stepped through the door for the group interview, their fate had been largely determined by a computer. They had taken a 50-minute online test that asked them to rate to what degree they agreed or disagreed with statements such as, “It’s maddening when the court lets guilty criminals go free,” “You don’t worry about making a good impression” and “You could describe yourself as ‘tidy.’ ”

A score in the “green” range for customer service gave an applicant an 83 percent chance of getting hired, “yellow” a 16 percent chance and “red” a 1 percent chance.

Over the past few years, personality assessment tests have moved from the realm of experiment to standard practice at many of the nation’s largest companies, including the Albertson’s grocery chain and retailers such as Neiman Marcus and Target. A recent survey found that about 30 percent of all companies use personality tests in hiring. To many companies, the tests are as important, if not more important, than an applicant’s education, experience and recommendations.

 


Comments


View Comments / Leave a Comment

This post currently has 2 comments.
You can read the comments or leave your own thoughts.


    Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 17 Apr 2005
    Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.

APA Reference
, . (2005). Personality put to test in hiring screenings. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 23, 2014, from http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2005/04/17/personality-put-to-test-in-hiring-screenings/

 

Recent Comments
  • Bianca S: Awesome suggestions! Thank you for sharing these with your readers. I think most people say they want to go...
  • Marilyn Fowler: Wow. What a great post. You get it, and your knowledge and caring words can help many who feel lost...
  • Mike beaver: I agree 100% everything thing I read about adhd is my same exact story I’m 51 the understanding...
  • Dave: “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” Ultimately forgiveness is...
  • Anonymous: I don’t wanna explain my past or anything. I ampretty committed into ending my life right now. All I...
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter


Find a Therapist
Enter ZIP or postal code



Users Online: 8816
Join Us Now!