When people honk their horns I think they are honking at me. I scream at people for teasing me. I assume people want me dead when they give me criticism. I sent a nasty email after being dissed by a coworker. I said that a football teammate is my least favorite team mate because he made fun of me in front of my teammates. I am currently in treatment and the only thing that changed is my blood pressure levels which changed for the better. I walk on eggshells around my coworkers even though they personally never harmed me. I wanted to tell a scammer who was trying to scam me to go screw herself after I found out that someone was trying to scam me. I was bullied as a child and in my teenage years and that is giving me a lot of problems.

A. You seem to be biased towards believing that people are “out to get you.” Biases involve prejudgment, which is making a judgement prematurely. This significantly increases the likelihood of coming to the wrong conclusions. The good news is that if you are aware of your bias, you can correct it.

Some people would describe their worldview as pessimistic or optimistic. That means they filter the world through a certain lens. A pessimist expects the worst. An optimist expects the best. Both are inaccurate ways to view the world. One should never be an optimist or pessimist. One sees the world as falsely better than it is in reality, and the other sees it as being worse than it is in reality. One should only be a realist, seeing the world as it is, never better or worse.

It’s good that you are in treatment. A decrease in your blood pressure levels might indicate that your treatment is working. You should continue with your treatment and begin counseling if you have not tried it already. Counseling will help you to more accurately judge situations and the intentions of other people.

One should strive to adapt their attitudes and beliefs according to the reality of a situation. Therapy is the ideal place to correct your biases and reactions to people and circumstances. Please take care.