From a young man in Chili: I was diagnosed with depression about 3 years ago and followed treatment for about 1.5 years and everything was fine… But this year I think somehow things have gone worse… I don’t find any joy in things that used to make me feel happy, I’ve been constantly day-dreaming and distancing myself from reality a lot, my self-esteem is on the ground…

Sometimes I feel like people are against me (Like complots and that kind of stuff), I’ve isolated myself a lot from my friends and society in general, because I don’t want to bother them and also because I don’t feel that there’s something good in my life to share with them… My sense of balance has deteriorated (don’t know if that also has something to do to it… But still).

I’ve gained some weight and also sometimes during nights I get an intense feeling of sadness that most of the times makes me cry. My sleep isn’t good. I either sleep or too much, or not enough, or wake up many times during night (or day sometimes… My internal clock is a complete mess)… I don’t share my thoughs or status with no one… So i’m taking advantage of this site annonimity just to ask if I should go see a specialist?

I find it very hard to open myself… Even with an specialist, so I wanted to know from someone else what would they do in my situation or what would they recommend me to do? Should I see a specialist? and if you think I should, then, which one do you recommend me? a psychologist or maybe a psychiatrist??

Thanks a lot.
PS. Sorry for the bad english… It’s not my native language.

A: No apologies are necessary for your English. We get letters from all over the world. You did fine.

You already had a successful experience with a therapist. I suggest you return to the provider you were seeing for another evaluation. That person already knows your story and knows what was helpful.

You are correct to be concerned about the return of symptoms. But I want you to know that it is not unusual for a client to have more than one episode of depression and to need another episode of treatment to address it. It is also not unusual for people to return to their therapist for periodic “adjustments” or fine-tuning.

Please take care of yourself. Go see your former treater and get the help you need and deserve. There is no reason for you to continue to suffer.