Boyfriend Needs Help

I think my boyfriend might have a mental illness. How can I talk to him about it? How can I get him help? I’m afraid that when I talk to him about it he will become angry and push me away or leave the relationship. He has sever mood swings, goes days without sleep, depression, hyperactive, sleeps a lot. He has had 3 marriages and bankruptcy, he has went from one teaching and coaching job to another. He has no real friends or family that he has a real relationship with. I’ve tried to by trying to relieve stresses such taking care of his home, billings, errands, etc… Ive tried to talk to him about it but he just turns it around on me, gets mad or plays it off like I don’t know what I’m saying. Any advise on how I can get him help would be appreciated.

A: Your boyfriend sounds like he may have become more than you bargained for. I would recommend you seek couple therapy and explain to the therapist your concerns. This is something you will both need to grapple with. The couple therapist can make recommendations from there. If your boyfriend refuses to go, I would recommend individual therapy for you to figure out how to move forward.