Can’t Fall Asleep with Anyone But My Ex

I have difficulties falling asleep when in bed with someone else. It has occurred with a handful of different men in different beds. I will either sleep for one or two hours or not at all. This has happened consistently for over four years all for the exception of my ex-boyfriend. I would be able to sleep with him no problem and in various beds. What allows me to sleep with him but no one else?

A: Thank you for sending your question to PsychCentral. My guess is that being in bed with this new man brings back the anxiety, struggles, and unfinished business with your ex-boyfriend. I think the struggle to move on gets triggered by the intimacy.

I would highly recommend some short-term therapy, perhaps with a cognitive behavioral therapist, to help explore any leftover feelings with your ex-boyfriend. The find help tab at the top of the page will help you find someone in your area.