Is My Girlfriend Over Me?

I asked her friend if she is done with me and she said she has been busy with work and soccer that she forgot about me and moved on. I went on vacation or 2 weeks and this is what happened. She said she felt this way for the past 2 weeks. We used to be in love and jumped into the relationship very fast. This came out of [no]where. I told her how much I loved her and how amazing she was everyday and she said the same. 2 months ago she went through something hard. She never told me what it was but all she said is she was not happy with herself when I asked her after I found out we were over. She has a hard home life so maybe that’s part. But things were so good. I don’t know what went wrong? Please help me. This is my first relationship and I don’t know what to do to get over her.

A: I know this can be a devastating time. When we feel so strongly for someone and their reaction toward us changes it can be devastating. But to love and lose is an important life lesson. I would take the time to write them all the feelings, good and bad, that you had in this relationship, then either toss the paper away or lock it in a file on your computer. Then I would spend time being in the company of other people — and when you’re ready, ask someone new out on a date. Learning to appreciate the qualities of another person can help you unhook from this loss.