I Have A Strong Urge To Kill People

My step-sister has been here a week now (she lives with her mother) and at night she always falls asleep before me. While she’s asleep I get this strong urge to go get a knife from the kitchen and just stab her to death. No, I don’t hate her or have any severe rivalries with her, we’re like best friends. But it’s not just her I feel like killing, it’s almost everyone around me. Everyone except for my older brother (he’s 14). I found myself daydreaming about killing everyone I know except for my brother. And this urge is really strong, it’s taking everything in me not to do it. It scares me, and I don’t get scared easily.

A. Your strong urge to kill is very concerning. It’s also worrisome that you have been in real-life situations where you have contemplated engaging in these acts. The safety of those around you might be at risk.

Virtually every religion considers killing an act of evil, a sin. Philip Zimbardo, the psychologist famous for the Stanford Prison Experiment, defines evil as “intentionally behaving in ways that harm, abuse, demean, dehumanize, or destroy innocent others … Evil, in short, is knowing better but doing worse.”

If you were to harm the “innocent others” around you, you would be guilty of evil acts.

It would also ensure that you would likely be incarcerated, possibly for many years or even for the rest of your life. The act of killing would destroy your life and the lives of many others.

At this point in time, you have not harmed anyone, but it’s imperative that you seek help before you do something you would regret. I would strongly recommend that you ask your parents to assist you in seeking counseling. In counseling, you could discuss these fantasies and understand why you have them. Counseling could also help you find an outlet for these impulses and transform your life in a healthy, positive way. Please take care.