I Think I Have Depression

From the United Arab Emirates: So i’m 15 years old, and i think i have depression, along with other mental issues that had been proven by tests online (I know its not a professional diagnoses but i had to get and idea if there’s something wrong with me) So it all started on Christmas when suddenly i got sad for no apparent reason and lost interest in all activities so i just stayed home all day everyday locked in my room watching movies. Then in January i had a mental breakdown, my mum suggested to go to a therapist and that’s what happened, but i only had one session with her. Then it went on, i got worse over the months, i’m failing school, i’m not so close to my family anymore, i hate socialising. Its summer now and instead of going out i stay at home in bed all day, for some reason i don’t want to talk to my friends and family and don’t want to hang out with them. I want to tell someone but i can’t. I’ve shown symptoms of depression, bipolar disorder and anxiety but i’m not 100% sure. I’m sad and want to cry all the time. I don’t know what to do. Please help me, and thank you in advance!

A: You didn’t say why you only went to a therapist for one session. Problems such as you are describing seldom are improved with only one visit. I suggest you do two things: First, see your medical doctor. It’s important to be sure there isn’t an underlying and undiagnosed medical issue at work here. If you check out fine medically, then go back to the therapist. If the reason you didn’t go back is that the two of you didn’t connect in a way that felt comfortable to you, try working with another therapist. It’s not at all unusual for a person to try out several counselors before finding the right “fit”.

Please don’t wait another week to make appointments. This is a very, very hard way to live. With every passing week, you are likely to find it more and more difficult to gather up the courage and hope to take care of yourself. You’ve already been dealing with this for almost 8 months. There is no reason to suffer further. Get yourself the help you need.