Anxiety, Depression, Chronic Insomnia

Hello. My name is Mila. For as long as I can remember, I’ve always been a very anxious person. I am also a loner, spend most of my time by myself, a typical introvert. I have been taking Xanax for a while and it was helping with my anxiety. Lately, I’ve been under increased stress (job situation, financial problems, complete loneliness) and my anxiety went out of control. I stopped sleeping at all, fall asleep at 5 am, wake up within an hour, can’t work all day, very agitated. Have been using herbal supplements, no help. My friend advised me to try trazadone. Also, I have been having severe heart palpitations. What would you recommend? Thank you.

A: I appreciate the difficulty you are having and am glad you wrote us here. The lack of sleep, the stress, and the fact that you have been experimenting with different remedies to no avail would suggest you need a very thorough physical. Before we try to sort through all the psychological concerns, I believe getting a complete physical will rule out any medical issues as a cause and will give you a baseline. From there you can choose either individual or group therapy. While it would be difficult in the beginning I would recommend trying group therapy as it is often the case that many people in a group struggle with this issue of isolation.