i am a 24 year old female from India.i am suffering from depression and obsessive compulsive disorder for the past 7 years and i am on medication.i have completed bachelors degree in electronics and communication engineering.
i very much wish to pursue psychological science.It has always intrigued me since i am a victim.
will studying psychology push me into deeper depths of depression or will it help me understand my mental disorder and be from it? i think studying psychology would be the most meaningful thing to do at this juncture of my life.
i want your suggestion.which universities do you recommend to study psychology?
firstly am i eligible at the age of 24??
which universities will accept me at this age?

A: I suspect that many people study psychology as a way to gain more self-understanding. It’s unlikely that it will make you more depressed. Possibly, studying psychology will help you make more sense of yourself and your treatment. One caution, however: Sometimes when people start studying all the various mental disorders, they start to believe they have all of them. (The same is true of medical students who start to think they have every illness they study.) The truth is that to be human is to recognize ourselves in all human suffering. For that reason, most schools do suggest that you see a therapist as part of your training. Talking regularly with a therapist helps students keep their own issues in perspective and also helps them be more compassionate with people who are suffering.

BTW: I do believe that some of the best candidates to be psychologists are people who have managed crises and mental illness in their lives. If they can maintain appropriate boundaries with their clients, they do have a unique inside view of what it feels like to struggle with psychological problems.

I’m not familiar with the schools in India so can’t recommend one. I’m sure there are excellent universities there. Talk to your doctor or therapist about what schools they would recommend. In America, I would urge you to look into the graduate programs that are APA (American Psychological Association) certified.

I wish you well,