I Have Depression Due to a Hand Tremor

From India: I am a 23 year old male, When i was 13 I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor and main symptom it shown was a tremor in my right hand. Even now I haven’t recovered from that. Its been a hard ten years for me. I don’t really have anybody who can understand my situation and guide me.

I have completed my MBA just now and which I have no idea how i got through. Now I am supposed to find a job, but I don’t want to work in this situation. I cant take this embarrassment anymore and want to live a peaceful life. I don’t know how to have this talk with my parents.

Please help me. I have been thinking about talking with a local psychiatrist but cant make up my mind. Lot of things have happened in the past 10 years which have affected me physically and mentally. I have lot of things to talk about, but language is a huge barrier. Looking forward for the reply.

PS: I am taking LONAZEP .5 MG and CIPLAR-LA 40 for the past three years according to my neurologist’s prescription. But it is not of any big help.

A: Please stop thinking about seeing a psychiatrist and make an appointment. The hand tremor is not what is holding you back. You mention that a lot has happened in the past 10 years, so I don’t know what made a minor handicap loom so large in your mind. What I do know is that if you can get comfortable with yourself as you are, others will be comfortable as well. Your work doesn’t depend on a steady hand. It depends on your mind and confidence. Clearly you are smart. You finished an MBA. But something in these last 10 years has undermined your self-confidence. You owe it to yourself to find out what it is and to fix it.

Also — please make an appointment with your neurologist. If medication isn’t working, you may need a change in medication or a change in dosage.