Intrusive Thoughts and OCD

For the last few months, I’ve had constant sexual intrusive thoughts and they have been driving me crazy. They’ve caused me so much anxiety and I started seeing a therapist about a lot of the issues that I’ve struggled with. It’s helped me get through a lot of the anxiety and the thoughts have stopped. I would never act on my impulses and I made an appointment with my doctor for a week from today and I’ve been thinking about starting a medication for my anxiety. What causes OCD and these types of thoughts to occur?

A: This is a good question about OCD. I think you doing all the right things by getting a consultation from your doctor. I believe that medicine can help, but you may also want to seek some therapy, particularly cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) that can help with these kinds of intrusive thoughts. Since you are in college you have access to free or very low cost counseling through the University Health Center, I would highly recommend supplementing your medical consultation with that of a therapist.

Here’s a link for more information about OCD.