I rarely sleep for anything more than 3 hours every few days and when I finally do, I don’t even feel like I’m sleeping. I feel like I’m just laying there wide awake, watching the minutes tick by til I wake. I’ve been trying to get more sleep out nothing eotks. At times I will twitch violently and spasm. If left alone for too long I begin hearing a voice, muffled but still clear to tell me things. It says I’m pointless and other grand horrors. When I went so far as to not sleep for a week I passed out for a solid 10 minutes and woke up screaming and jumping away. I though a felt someone cutting my rub cave open and removing my heart with their frigid hands. I’ve been impartial to the visual aspect of this, but I see blood and bodies in flashes… I once opened the door and saw human heads bleeding and laying on my floor screaming in agony. I have had countless times where I fell to my knees in fright because on the sidewalk was a group of children’s bodies stacked and covered in blood.. I haven’t slept fully in almost 7 years now. I’ve had points where I though I was being chased up the stairs and I threw a book shelf down them. I keep seeing death when I blink and I don’t know how much longer I can take… Should I check into a mental hospital?

A. Yes, you should go to the hospital, but I am not certain that it needs to be a psychiatric hospital. You may be experiencing a medical problem and need to be evaluated as soon as possible.

Lack of sleep can become serious. Brain functioning decreases. Without the proper sleep, it’s difficult to concentrate and make rational decisions. Lack of sleep can also disrupt your immune system and is associated with other physical health problems.

It’s possible that your symptoms are entirely the result of a severe lack of sleep. It’s also possible that you have an undiagnosed sleep disorder or an underlying medical problem.

The only way to know with certainty what is wrong and what treatment would be the most appropriate, is to seek medical care. Don’t wait any longer. Seek medical attention immediately. Please take care.