Secret Depression

By Holly Counts, Psy.D.

I’m 16 and I think I have depression. I took an online quiz on this site and it said I had severe depression. I feel tired even when I sleep all night, I self harm when I suddenly feel angry with myself and want to hurt, I get stomach aches when I when I eat and think of ways to commit suicide twice a day. I can’t tell my parents, even when I want to I freeze up and can’t say anything. What do I do?

A:  Thanks for writing in with your question because it shows me that you want help but aren’t sure yet how to get it. I know it can be hard to talk to your parents about these kinds of things, but your parents love you and want what is best for you. If you freeze up when you try confiding in them, try writing them a letter. You could even print the results of the online quiz and share it with them. You might also consider first confiding in another trusted adult, such as a teacher, the school counselor, your doctor, a church leader, the parent of a friend, or another family member. Think of it as a practice run and maybe this person could be with you when you tell your parents. If the thoughts of suicide continue or get worse, please call the suicide hotline. I hope these suggestions help, and I hope you begin feeling better soon.