Child Sexual Abuse

I was sexually abused by my brother when I was younger, I had always pushed it aside and recently I had suppressed memories come back and remember incidents that happened as young as 6. I was also molested by a older man that had followed me on myspace when I was 11. My entire life I’ve had trust issues and am in a serious relationship of 3 years. Why is it so hard for me to trust him, when he’s done nothing to make me not trust him? He is extremely patient, kind and more importantly honest & loyal.

A: Whenever there has been abuse during development it impacts us going forward. Not being not being able to choose your first sexual partner, not feeling adequately protected, and not having enough power as a child to assert your needs has created a hesitancy for you to trust.

But the fact that we know the origin and you recognize that your boyfriend is worthy of trust are the essential elements needed for change.

Since you are in college, I would highly recommend you talking to the therapist at the university counseling center. They are trained in helping you sort such things and help you untangle your past from your present.