Something Is Controlling My Romantic Life

I’ve posted my full story in the Psych Central forums. As a brief summary, I’ve been noticing subtle coincidences in everyday life since July 2013 that make me feel like something is pushing the K-pop idol I am currently obsessed with and I together. What is scaring me is that I firmly know I have no chance of meeting her, yet I still cannot control how much I am… stalking her. That’s probably the best word.

Please help me. I am hearing voices in my head constantly arguing over my dilemma. I randomly feel surges of lust or rage that fade away as quickly as they come. Throughout this dilemma of mine, I am constantly trying to forget about her, but it is as if something is whispering at the back of my head about her and I can’t forget about her. I feel like my logical side is a cold being that cares nothing for me. I really think I’m on the brink of losing my sanity. Please help me, I don’t know what to do.

A. You recognize that a problem exists. You have the insight to know that you are losing control of your behavior. It’s good that you’re able to recognize these things because you may be more open to seeking help than someone who is unwilling to admit that a problem exists.

Your symptoms are not likely to go away on their own. They are unusual and require professional intervention.

My recommendation is that you tell your parents about your symptoms and then ask them to take you to see a mental health professional. A mental health professional will evaluate your condition, determine if your symptoms match a particular diagnosis and recommend a course of treatment.

Both medication and psychotherapy could improve your symptoms. Medication could decrease or eliminate the voices and stabilize your mood. Psychotherapy could help you to make better choices, control your behavior and stay grounded in reality.

I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.