I have borderline personality disorder. I’ve recently come across what thought insertion is and I think I may have that. I feel like there are thought from someone else that are in my head. I know they aren’t mine because they are a man’s thoughts. He tells me bad things like I should starve myself to be pretty or I should cut myself so I won’t be so depressed sometimes. He also tells me that certain people hate me and that I should leave them before they leave me. I’m wondering if this is a symptom of borderline personality disorder or not? I’ve looked but I can’t seem to find anything relating the two. Is it possible to have this delusion separate from bpd?

A. Individuals with borderline personality disorder (BPD) can experience brief psychotic episodes. Thus your symptoms may be a symptom of BPD, but it’s also possible that something else is wrong. Only a thorough, in-person mental health evaluation could properly make that determination.

Individuals with BPD are particularly vulnerable to psychotic-like experiences during times of stress. Are you highly stressed? If so, it might explain this new set of symptoms.

The origin of your new symptom is less important than reporting it to your treating professionals. It’s important for them to be aware of all symptom developments. They may recommend a change in treatment. Certain medications, for instance, are designed to treat specific symptoms. Antipsychotic medications are particularly effective for treating these types of symptoms. Please take care.