Is It My Imaginary Friend or Just My Conscious?

Hello, I don’t even know what this even is but I apparently have some kind of imaginary friend or what have you but he’s not exceptionally the most friendly kind of guy. You see, I get ridiculed and mocked at school a whole lot and he usually keeps telling me the things they say over and over and over. I hate it a lot because it makes me feel bad about myself and he keeps me from eating on some occasions because I’m not that skinny … He really likes me though, he wants me to keep living my life and he wants me to do my best but I’m not perfect and he tries to make me perfect and that’s what really bothers me the most. I don’t want to be super skinny and super smart, people laugh at me for being awkward so he gets mad at me for being awkward. I like him a lot, I don’t want him to go away but I just want him to stop telling me I need to be something I’m not. He’s really nice and he tells me he loves me a whole bunch. I just really have mixed feelings about him. I’ve known him since 2012 and he’s been hanging around me for a while now and he’s just gotten worse and worse telling me I’m not going to get places with a face and a brain like mine. My friends tell me I have that DID thing, but I don’t believe them because aren’t the other personalities supposed to be inside your head, and you can’t communicate with them?? I really want to know what’s wrong with me. I don’t want to go to a psychiatrist but I am considering telling my parents about going if I feel that I really need to. I feel like a wackjob, but y’know, every kids gotta have an imaginary friend right? Haha, thanks for helping.

A. I suspect that you are describing an imaginary friend, but I can’t be certain. Only an in-person, thorough mental health evaluation could determine what may be wrong.

You are thinking about telling your parents and I would advise that you do so. They may be able to help. I would also recommend that you consult a mental health professional.

Having an issue that you would like help with does not make you a “wackjob.” Proactively seeking professional help to address a potential problem is prudent and wise. It might prevent the development of additional problems.

Some people erroneously believe that getting counseling or seeking help for their psychological problems means that they are weak. Just the opposite is true. They believe this because of old fashioned ideas about mental illness. They are actually reinforcing outdated stereotypes.

Just as the dentist is educated and trained and the surgeon is educated and trained, so is the therapist educated and trained.

It is certainly not a sign of weakness that you are not innately able to fill a tooth or remove a kidney. Nor is it a sign of weakness that you are not naturally able to understand the dynamics of emotion and cognition. Let the experts, in their fields, handle it.

Please take care.