Mom Won’t Help Me Get Help

From the U.S.: I’ve been trying to ask my mom to get me counseling for about a year and a half now. She makes some excuses to me, so she doesn’t have to. (Or at least that’s how it feels) A few different psychologists have told her I need to see someone for my issues, because it could be something more than she thinks. How should I explain that to her in a way that might get her to? Or to let me set up an appointment to see one?

A: If a few psychologists have already told her that you should see a counselor and she hasn’t been impressed, then you need to make use of what resources you have until you are 18 and can make the decision on your own. That’s less than a year away. You aren’t going to win an argument with your mother so give it up. You are only frustrating yourself and annoying her. It isn’t helping you.

You can do a number of things to help yourself. First, you can talk with your school counselor or nurse. Often they are available to students to talk about personal matters. They may also know of some free services for teens in your community. You can also do some personal homework. Look up issues online or make a trip to the library for some self-help books. There are forums online that many people find helpful.

Please take care of yourself. Change your focus. Work on your issues, instead of wasting time and energy trying to convince your mother that you have them.