Hearing Voices & Other Things

Hi, I’m a 15 year old female. I’ve always believed things that many other people around me dont seem to believe. People can read my thoughts, Everyone is out to get me and hurt me. I’m also pretty socially awkward, often find myself not able to talk to anyone i dont know, or make eye contact, etc. I find it hard to express feelings, like cry or feel guilt. I have been hearing people talking to me, for the past 3 1/2 months, i first thought it was demons possessing my body, not so sure now. I feel like i do not control my own thoughts / actions, I feel emotionally out of control but at the same time I also feel emotionally numb. I also have been self harming for 5 years. What could this mean? Should i bring all this up to my counselor/psychiatrist? I’m just scared of what it could be. Thanks

A. It’s difficult to determine what these symptoms might indicate with regard to a diagnosis. Feeling as though other people can read your thoughts and feeling paranoid, may indicate a break with reality.

You also described feeling emotionally numb and engaging in self-harm. Those symptoms might indicate depression. You did not mention whether you’re taking medication. If so, it might explain your emotional numbness. Sometimes medications dull emotions.

It’s important to be as forthcoming as possible with your counselor and psychiatrist. For instance, you said that you have been self-harming for five years. Have you been hiding this from your treating professionals? The fact that you have been engaging in self-harm suggests that your treatment may need adjusted but your counselor and psychiatrist can’t help you if they are not informed of your symptoms.

The bottom line is this: Yes, you should report your symptoms to your counselor and psychiatrist. They need to be aware of every new development. You should be as detailed as possible and report all of your symptoms immediately. Please take care.