Psychotic Episodes 2-3 Times A Year

I have borderline personality disorder and have been receiving treatment for 8 yrs. Many things have improved. I have episodes 2-3 times a year that I have thoughts in my head that beat me down with criticisms, insults. Very harsh things. I fight them with all I have but am not able to stay in control. Self harming can help distract it, but this is getting worse. It’s a part that wants to hurt. Mostly me but sometimes others. I am prone to side effects of medications so do not take them. Are there medications that can help me through these periods that would not require me to take them every day?

A. I am not aware of any medication that you can take only once a week, but this is something you should discuss with a psychiatrist. There may be medications you can take in very low doses which might help to mitigate unpleasant side effects. Finding the right medication regimen takes time and patience, and most importantly, it requires working with a psychiatrist with whom you trust.

You stated that you are “prone to side effects of medications” but this may be true for everyone, at least for a period of time. It is often the case that an individual begins a new medication, experiences side effects, but they are short-lived. Once the body adjusts to the new medication, side effects can diminish considerably or even go away completely.

You have been in treatment for eight years but didn’t indicate whether you are working with a psychiatrist. If not, that should be your next step. Ask your friends or your healthcare providers for a referral. Other ways to find a good psychiatrist may include contacting a local mental health institution or support groups and asking for a referral or doing a Google search and reading reviews.

It’s well worth your time and effort to find a good psychiatrist. The right medication could significantly improve the quality of your life.