Schizophrenia Symptoms?

Ever since I was 16 at least, I’ve heard ongoing music in my head that I think at times other people can hear. I also think I may have schizophrenia due to the fact that I think other people can hear the music. Now that I’m older, lately I’ve been seeing stuff that I thought was crawling like a bug but only for a couple of seconds. Sometimes get into these moods where I get real depressed to the point where I cry. Then sometimes I’ll perk back up. I’m guess I’m somewhat of an introvert and when someone tries to speak to me at times I give them a blank stare or I don’t respond. Are these signs I’m schizophrenic?

A. I cannot provide or confirm a diagnosis over the Internet, but generally speaking your symptoms do not seem consistent with schizophrenia.

You described hearing music in your head. Many people experience having a song “stuck in their head.” They hear a song or catchy jingle on a TV commercial and can’t stop it from repeating over and over in their minds. They are called “earworms.” Researchers estimate that about 90% of people, at least once a week, get a song stuck in their head.

You didn’t provide many details about the music you hear, but perhaps the phenomenon of earworms explains what you have been experiencing.

You sometimes see bugs crawling. They only last a few seconds. If that experience lasts longer than a few seconds and if it leads to you engaging in self-harm to remove the bugs, then it might indicate psychosis. What you have described is slightly abnormal but not consistent with schizophrenia.

You also described feeling depressed. Depression can be a co-occurring symptom of schizophrenia, but it is not a primary symptom of schizophrenia. The depression you are experiencing may indicate a diagnosis of depression or you are reacting to something that is happening in your life. I would need more information about how often you experience depression symptoms to know if a depression diagnosis is warranted.

My recommendation is for you to undergo both a physical and mental health evaluation. It’s always best to seek an in-person, thorough evaluation to determine if a disorder is present. Please take care.