Moving On In Life as I Age

For the past few years I seem to be having a real difficult time accepting the fact that people move on in life, even if that means without me.

I will explain briefly. Around 3 years ago I moved away from a city I lived in for 13 years. I left behind so many friends, at least I thought I did. Using social media I have tried to stay in contact but I feel like I am already forgotten. I have also contacted people I have not seen for 20 years. If the roles were reversed I would be happy to hear from an old acquaintance. I am either not getting any feedback at all or very vague responses.

Am I expecting too much? How is it so easy for others to move on but I seem to be holding on to the past?
In a nutshell I just want my old life back from 3 years ago. I should have never moved.

Thank you for your time.

A: Thank you for sending in your email. In every stage of development there is a period of struggle. The chick doesn’t get out of the egg by pulling down the zipper, it has to crack through the shell to be released and have a life. The butterfly doesn’t easily get out of the cocoon.

This is a time for you to decide what to do and want in life — and to make it happen. First, I would find people who share your interests and passions. What hobbies do you have? What are you good at? What would you like to learn more about? The idea is to find groups of like-minded people and start making the connections. You were willing to reach out to old friends, now it is time to reach out for new ones.