Paranoid?

My close friends say I’m being paranoid, while another says its a mild form of schizophrenia.

It kind if just started happening when I moved to Canada about two years ago. I’m always caught up on things like:
-People watching me through my living room window (there’s a big window that faces the neighborhood) and they watch my actions through that window.
-I’m always thinking about other people if they are talking about me behind my back
-I walk down the street scanning the area around me multiple times (sudden noises makes me jump)
-I think my the “vitamins” I drink are secretly anti-depressants (my mom never keeps the box, so I can never check)

It really never affected me that much until now, where my friends started saying that I was being schizophrenic about it and/or paranoid. Now another friend of mime says that she has been through the exact same scenarios as me and that her diagnosis was a mild form of schizophrenia. I just want to know whether or not my case is something to be worried about. What can I do to stop these intrusive thoughts and behaviors?

A: Your friends obviously care about you, and I’m glad that you have taken the time to write us here. It sounds to me like it would be a good idea for you to talk to someone who has experience in these matters. I would ask your mom to make an appointment with a therapist, your family doctor, or a psychiatrist so that you could talk to someone about these feelings. There can be a variety of different reasons why you’re feeling this way, but the best thing to do is to have it checked out by a professional.