I am a 22-year-old woman who is trying to make a living for myself. I currently am living with my parents because I am currently unemployed. Today, one of my mom’s friends called with a possible job for me. After making a small comment about how some people bother me, my mom lost it and has been throwing a fit about it all day. She keeps coming into my room and yelling at me about how that one tiny comment is the biggest mistake I have ever made. At this point, I can hardly see my keyboard through the tears. This is not the first time something I have said has pushed my mom over the edge. I could comment on the weather and she’d blow up in my face. I have thought about suicide more than once. The only thing that keeps me here are my friends. They know I could shatter at any moment. I have never been diagnosed with any stress disorders, but I am starting to think I have a few. I am starting to run out of options for how I can deal with my mom always yelling at me. If any help can be given to me, I would really appreciate it.

A. Obviously, you’re dealing with a stressful situation. No one likes to be yelled at. It’s unpleasant and aggravating. What’s important to remember is that your situation is temporary. You are only living with your parents because you’re unemployed. Your situation could change at any time. The moment that you’re able to secure stable employment, you can move and put some distance between you and your parents.

You think that you may have a stress disorder, but your stress is situational. In other words, you may not have a diagnosable mental health disorder, but you undoubtedly are faced with a challenging set of life circumstances.

I would encourage you to make your parents aware of how their behavior is negatively impacting you. If they knew, they might change their behavior. It’s worth a try. You can even show them the letter you wrote to us at Psych Central.

Since you’re stuck for the time being, I would highly recommend that you spend as little time in the presence of your parents as possible. Try to surround yourself with supportive people. You may also want to consider attending a local support group or entering therapy. The more supportive people you can surround yourself with, the better you will feel. If you feel as though you may harm yourself, then call emergency services immediately. Please take care.