What Does My Dream Mean?

From the U.S.: I’m 27 and had a dream that I was back in school and my teacher was my boss from work. We don’t get a long well at work though we’re professionals and just do our jobs. I am afraid of him as well as he fired half a dozen people in as many months. In my dream, I came to school naked and “my teacher” was making fun of me in front of the class that I have a small penis. I do feel that I have a small penis, but what does this dream mean?

A: Dreams are very specific to the dreamer. (Don’t believe those books that suggest that there are symbols that mean the same thing for everyone.) Without knowing you, all I can do is make an educated guess from the information you provided.

Your dream sounds like an anxiety dream. A number of people have been fired and you don’t get along with the boss. As much as you think you’re handling it well, there is a part of you that worries that you could also be let go. That probably triggered uncomfortable memories of times you were asked to stand up in front of the class when you were a student. Most kids are anxious in those circumstances, so it’s nothing to be ashamed of. The feelings of anxiety triggered thoughts about something else that makes you anxious — the size of your penis and maybe worries about whether you are man enough to manage your job. Each scene in the dream is united by the feelings of anxiety.

If I’m correct, then you may be preparing yourself to handle being laid off, or you may be thinking you need to do something to man-up and take care of yourself. That could mean doing better at work or looking for another job.

That’s the best I can do with limited information. I hope it is helpful.