Where To Go From Here

Sorry, this is going to be a long winded one.
Last February I approached my GP to ask for a referral to a Psychiatrist as I thought I was suffering from Bipolar disorder. After an evaluation, he’d given a diagnosis of Cyclothymia. I got referred to a Psychologist and received CBT for 8 weeks, it hasn’t worked.

I’d been waiting for a followup appointment with the Psychiatrist as I’d wanted to discuss other symptoms and thought it odd that I’d waited another 6 months and had nothing. So approached my GP again, she followed it up and it turned out that I hadn’t received the letter. So, more waiting and was told I’d get another through. I never got one. 8 months without any treatment for anything and I’m struggling. I’m scared to go back to GP and ask again as I feel as if I’m just being palmed off.

I took a number of different online tests and all of them came back with severe borderline personality disorder and/or Bipolar II disorder.

I’m at my wits end and don’t know what to do. Do I go back to my GP yet again and ask for more help? I’m scared in case she and Psychologist just think I’m a time waster that doesn’t attend appointments and I just get turned away when I know I’ve waited every day hoping I get my letter to go for an appointment.

I’m not feeling suicidal or anything, but this, whatever it is, is destroying my life. I’ve lost my job because of it, I can’t hold a relationship down, I’m useless with money, I don’t sleep, I’ve lost alot of friends through keeping myself in my own bubble, I make an idiot of myself sometimes when I’m out.

Any advice at all would be amazing.

A: I understand the restrictions in your country, but also know that there are ways around it. Go directly back to the psychiatrist, show him or her the results of your tests, and explain the problems and that the diagnosis doesn’t match your symptoms. Be vigilant about this. Let the psychiatris know you need something more.

I would also return to the CBT people. Get them involved with your solution. Use the professionals you have worked with because they can be the most directly helpful. They need to know that what they have tried hasn’t worked. Get them involved with the correction.

At the same time I would make an appointment with the GP. Call every day until the letter comes. This is your life, and you need to advocate for yourself. Don’t wait. Start your campaign today.

Don’t engage in this as a passive exercise. This is your life, and sometimes professionals need to be reengaged in the healing process.