Uncomfortable Around People

Ever since I can remember I’ve always bin uncomfortable around people. It was pretty bad in elementary school, I had 1 friend and she would talk for me and defend me. I always felt like everyone is judging me, like I wasn’t good enough. I remember thinking I wasn’t good enough to even wear certain clothes, I even feel like when people do comment on my clothes or hair they don’t really mean it and think the opposite. In school, walking the hallways is terrifying, its like everyone is starring at me. Recently I’ve bin locking myself in my room for 2 days or so on and off. For some reason I just cant even bring myself to even be around family sometimes. I get this overwhelming feeling that I’ve done something wrong out of nowhere even if I haven’t and just hide away until I get super hungry or I feel ok again. If I miss a day of school I end up missing a week or 2 because I cant confront the teachers after, even when doing co-op I ended up quitting every placement because I couldn’t handle it anymore. What should I do? Why am I like this?

A: While I don’t know why you are like this I can say that there are a number of things you can do to cope with it. I believe in this instance by treating the symptoms we will be taking care of the problems at their core. I would encourage you to find a therapist in your are that specializes in CBT, cognitive –behavioral therapy. The find help tab at the top of the page can help find someone in your area.

This approach focuses on changing how you think and behave specifically, which I believe will give you the fastest and best results.