Severely Depressed

I’ve been depressed for a really long time and its at the point where I can barely leave my room or even the house. I’ve asked my family for help, friends but they either ignore or brush me off to the side. I can clearly say I feel unloved and unwanted. I personally think that feeling is partly what makes me feel like I’m in love with my best friend. She tries to help me but doesn’t know how to. I have a lot of issues I need to work through but those are the two biggest problems I have now. What’s something I can do to just focus long enough to get more help when I can barely even leave my room?

A: I appreciate the struggle and thank you for writing. I would begin by looking into some of the forums on Psych Central. They will allow you to make connections and feel a bit of the community. Here’s a link to them. All you need is access to the Internet, and don’t have to leave your house.

On the forums you can ask how other people have found ways to cope. I would highly encourage you to find a way to see a professional sooner rather than later so that you can feel some relief soon.