Struggling with Grief

Lately life has just been really unfair towards me. My best friend killed themselves on 09/09/13 and my uncle is dying in the hospital and my parents are always fighting wig me and making me feel worthless. I just wish I could do something That helped me except being self destructive. I’ve tried writing but it just makes me more angry. I’ve tried drawing and painting and coloring and reading and exercise and more and nothing helps me. I can’t sleep at night because the thoughts keep me up. I can’t eat, I’ve lost like 20 lbs in three weeks. I just need advice on what to do because I’m lost and can’t find myself.

A. I find your letter to be very insightful. You attempted to deal with your grief by engaging in healthy activities such as writing, painting, exercise, coloring and reading. The fact that you attempted to utilize healthy coping methods is a sign of your resourcefulness, resiliency and intellect.

You’ve been facing a difficult set of circumstances. You could greatly benefit from grief counseling. Grief counseling can be done in individual therapy sessions but some people prefer group therapy. They like to connect with others who are experiencing a similar set of circumstances. There may be a bereavement support group in your community. Try contacting local hospitals, hospices or even funeral homes about local bereavement support groups.

I would also encourage you to tell your parents about how you have been feeling. It’s important to inform them about your struggles. They can assist you in finding a mental health professional who specializes in grief counseling. It’s normal to experience grief after a loss; however, you are clearly struggling. A mental health professional who specializes in grief can help you to work through your intense emotions. Please take care.