OCD and Anxiety

Hi, I have been suffering from OCD/anxiety for 5 years now. I am taking medication but have not tried CBT or any other therapies I had a few questions if you can help me.

1. My symptoms started when I was in my adolescence and the trigger was a horror video game I don’t know if that would have caused the anxiety, depression and OCD to continue but I am very fearful of that game and everything related to it so can one horror game cause all of these symptoms which continue and would coming into contact with it cause worse symptoms?

2. I have associated phobias so say if i am feeling anxiety while doing something say watching a tv show the next time I would not watch that tv show as i believe that would cause it to come again. I begin fearing its mention image or word and have to do a ritual to make it stop affecting me is it normal?

3. Would I benefit from CBT or exposure therapy?

Thank you so much for your help.

A: I think your insights are good ones. I don’t think exposure therapy would be the way to go because of the success CBT shows in comparison. All of your hypotheses are viable, and a good CBT therapist should help. The find help tab can help you find somebody qualified in your country. Cognitive-behavioral therapy has tremendous value because it will help you deal with the symptoms of thought, which are viewed as the problem itself.

Here’s a link to more information on CBT.