Hearing Voices

Something really weird has been going on with me. Lately, I’ve been starting to hear “screams” in my head, telling me to harm myself, pushing me towards self harm and suicidal things. But the weirdest thing happened two days ago. I was in the washroom, taking some personal time for me, and I heard my brother’s voice, clearly saying “hey mom! I’m gonna head out and walk Patton (being our dog)” I stopped what I was doing, just to be sure that I had heard right, and I could still hear him having a conversation with my mom, M ydad was also in the conversation. It seemed totally okay. I had thought that my brother and my dad had come up to Montréal to spend the night with us. I came out of the washroom and went downstairs, asking my mom where my brother was. She told me that they were still upnorth, and that they never did stop by….

What does this mean?
I am kinda freaking out at this moment. I don’t want these voices to end up taking control over my life.

A. People who hear voices often say that they are of a demeaning nature. Rarely are the voices saying kind and pleasant things. Therefore, your experience with hearing voices is consistent with that of many others.

Have there been any recent stresses in your life? Have you consumed alcohol or drugs recently? Are you sleep-deprived? Are you taking medication? Those are some of the many questions I would be asking if I were conducting a mental health evaluation. The answers to those questions is essential to understanding what’s wrong.

Hearing voices is an unusual occurrence; however, there may be a logical explanation for their presence. I would recommend consulting a mental health professional who can evaluate your symptoms and determine what might be wrong. In the meantime, keep track of the situations where you hear voices. Document any other symptoms that accompany the voices. That information will be helpful during your mental health evaluation. I wish you well. Please take care.