Parents Never Listen

My parents never listen to me and they don’t understand the things I go through. And they are always judging who I hangout with. I’m a dating a real amazing guy who I deeply love. My parents are judging
him before they even meet him really want my parents to listen to me and give me a chance to talk.

A: Thank you for your email. I would schedule a time to talk to parents when things are not heated. But I would rehearse for this before the meeting. Think about the points you want to make, and you’ll need to have examples of when you felt diminished by them. Be clear about what you need.

At 20 years of age your parents sound like they are treating you more like you are 15. Explain that you are a young woman with different needs now then you had back then.

If you don’t feel comfortable doing this, you may want to request having a couple of sessions with a family counselor skilled in negotiating the labyrinth of family dynamics.