I’m Afraid I’m Might Have Pedophilia

Hi, I’m 16 and female and I really afraid that I might have pedophilia. Disturbing thoughts keep popping into my head and they freak me out. I keep researching about pedophilia but none of it tells me if I have pedophilia. And I can’t talk to my family about this because of family history. I try to stop the thoughts from happening but they don’t stop. And I don’t think I’m aroused by children but I look at kids and ask myself if I am or not and then I get a weird feeling. And I freak out. I’ve also researched OCD to see if that’s it too. But I can’t tell. I just really need help and I can’t ask anyone I know for help because I’m ashamed. please help me this is really scaring me.

A: It must’ve taken a great deal of courage to write us here at Psych Central. Thank you. There is too little information in your email to know exactly what’s going on. But a family history and repetitive, intrusive and disturbing thoughts are causing you concern. This suggests that you will want to talk this over with a professional.

If you feel there is no way you can talk to your parents or older sibling about this then I would do one of two things: Because of your age I would either talk to your high school’s guidance counselor, or contact the local women’s center in your county. Both of these places are good ways to start.