I was sexually abused from ages 6-11 and grew up with quite a bit of emotional and physical issues. I had my son at 16 He is 15 now and through the years I have dealt with my inner demons and issues trying to keep them from him. I feel I should tell him why I am the way I am. Part of me feels it’s not right to tell your child about that stuff. but I also feel he should know. Should I tell him? If so what age is appropriate?

A: Thank you for your question. Are you working with a therapist? I question this because I don’t know the value of telling your son if you can’t also tell him all the things you’ve done to cope. I would highly recommend you begin therapy if you haven’t, and if you have, I would talk to your therapist about the merit and concerns behind telling your son. The risk is that you would be breaching a boundary with him, which I am certain isn’t what you would want to do.