Is My Dissociative Amnesia Causing My GAD?

In short both of these are a complete self diagnosis. But basically I showed all the symptoms of PTSD from being bullied and manipulated in middle school and a period I reference as the worst 3 years of my life. But still the confusion from what I believe is my dissociative amnesia which has been causing frequent mental blocks is effecting my everyday life. I keep my head under control and focused with Caffeine. It’s the only thing that allows me to think clearly. But I think the caffeine I’m using to help my cognition is causing me to process all that has happened in the past frequently sending me into episodes of anxiety and irritability. I’ve also been using meditation and eastern philosophy techniques to come to terms with my past. But nothing seems to be working and I feel like I need something physical to get me out of this vicious cycle. I’ve been questioning the use of Marijuana for the stress and psyclobin for the deep repressed trauma I’ve been facing (Both of which are obviously illegal). But I am saving that for a last resort. I know I should see a psychiatrist. But before I do I just want an opinion. What should I do? From a professional perspective, what should I do to treat this before I actually do go. I want medical opinion.

A. If you broke your leg, you would probably go straight to the emergency room. That is what most people would do. It would be irrational to attempt to repair one’s own leg before seeking emergency medical assistance from trained professionals. That same logic should apply to mental health problems. As a non-mental health professional, you don’t have the expertise to diagnose and treat your own mental health problems.

Receiving a mental health diagnosis is a serious and involved process. Mental health professionals undergo rigorous education and training in mental health diagnosis. Self-diagnosis is not recommended. If you believe that you have a mental health disorder, it would be best to consult a professional who can assess your symptoms and determine what mental health disorder you may have.

I would also strongly advise against using illicit drugs to treat your symptoms. Both marijuana and psilocybin mushrooms are hallucinogenic drugs. Illegally manufactured drugs can be dangerous. The makers of illicit drugs might mix or cut their substances with poisons. You simply don’t know what you’re getting. It’s quite dangerous and can intensify your mental health symptoms.

People often turn to illicit drugs as a form of self-medication. Their hope, and perhaps their goal, is to reduce their troublesome symptoms but it is quite risky. I would advise against it.

Consult a mental health professional to clarify a diagnosis. He or she will collect an extensive psychosocial history and determine what may be wrong. The longer you wait to seek professional help, the worse your symptoms may become. The most efficient way to deal with this problem is to seek help now and not wait. Please take care.