5-Year-Old Son Abused Our Dog

My wife walked in on our 5 year old son holding down his 4 month old beagle puppy and whacking it repeatedly with a stiff nerf sword. She said his eyes and face did not show emotion as he repositioned her and continued beating her while she cowered for 2 minutes before my wife finally stepped in after trying to see how it progressed. We know he is capable of feeling real empathy, but it appeared to be turned off at this time. About a month ago he also pushed the dog down the last 3 steps because she was in the way. We took all toy weapons away and we scheduled an evaluation, but it’s over a month away. Any advice?

A: Thank you for your question. I am assuming that evaluation is with a qualified psychologist or psychiatrist. In the interim however, I would make an appointment with your pediatrician for a complete medical evaluation. This would almost always be requested by the evaluator. This will move you that much ahead of the curve if you have it done it beforehand.

In the meantime, I would take note of any of the incidents that take place. Identify anything that came before the occurrence that you might see is an activator for what he did. Also note the consequences of his actions. This can help the evaluator to determine if there is a pattern to the aggression.