Intense Pain

How stupid this may sound, it all began with my period. I experienced very heavy cramps during the first one, and got terrible headaches. I couldn’t sleep at night because the pain wouldn’t stop and normal tablets won’t work, the pain is way worse. This took about a week. They told me it were ‘starters problems’. Now, two years later, my period takes two weeks with migraine attacks and pain filled nights. I got stronger tablets, but I can’t do anything once I have those, I just lay in bed.. waiting. When my two weeks of period are over, it takes about a week before it starts again. I don’t know what is wrong with me, but the doctor I visit says I can feel real pain, yet it isn’t there.. because I’ve been through so much pain, my body keeps feeling that pain even though it isn’t really there. I don’t know if he’s right, but I would want to try his therapy, because what other choice do I have because they can’t find anything real wrong with my body? I’m almost not at school anymore, my friends don’t believe me and never call me anymore.. I’m usually alone and I feel empty. It’s the worst for my mom though, now she has one ‘problem’ kid (me), one with ADHD and a jobless husband. I wish we had family to support us, but we don’t.. my mom had a massive fight with her sister and now they don’t talk anymore. Based on what I heard, it’s probably never going to be ok. Sometimes I just think I should end it, or walk away, but then again.. that would probably be really stupid. I don’t know what to do. Besides that, the thought of calling my ‘former friends’ makes me so scared I just want to run away and hide. I have this feeling they talk around my back, bad things like that I just don’t want to go to school or that I’m faking it all. Why would I fake this? I tried explaining a long time ago but they just won’t believe me. Oh, and I have a lot of nightmares lately, about me dying with real pain. What is wrong with me? Please help me.

A. It’s unclear what is wrong but you shouldn’t stop trying to access help. If your mother, the doctor or your friends don’t believe you, then try speaking to school nurses or administrators. Tell them about your symptoms and how it has been a major struggle for you to get help.

I’m concerned about the fact that you have considered suicide. Suicidal ideation should always be taken seriously. When you’re not feeling well physically, then you don’t feel well psychologically.

It’s important to clarify that you are not a “problem kid” because you’re having a physical problem. It’s not your fault. You did not choose to have a physical problem and if you could eliminate the pain, you would. It’s your mother’s job to take care of you. That’s her role as a parent. You did nothing wrong and you shouldn’t feel as though you did.

My recommendation is to continue to ask for help. Ask to see a gynecologist, a doctor who specializes in menstrual health. A specialized physician will likely better understand the nature of your problems. Migraines are very real. There are physicians who specialize in treating only migraines. Migraines can be triggered by hormonal changes in your body, like the ones that occur during your menstrual cycle. An endocrinologist specializes in hormones.

Start seeing specialists until your problems are solved. You can talk this over with your primary care physician.

If the pain continues, then call emergency services or go directly to the hospital. Please take care.