I Don’t Know Where I’m Headed in Life

I am graduating High School this year and I still haven’t registered at a college yet. I don’t know what I want to be or where I see myself going. I would love to own a cupcake shop, but I also want to work with children; possibly be a teacher, or a pediatrician. School doesn’t really strike my attention though, even though I know I should still go. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to go into college for, and I have no clue what I’m doing in life. I don’t want to live at home forever, but that’s about the way it’s looking right now. I’m getting so stressed out because I don’t know where I’m going in life, and I’m about to be pushed into the real world in 2 weeks. How do I know what to be? Or where to go?

A: Thank you for sending in your question. While it might feel like you have to get it right – and right now – the truth is this is a time for exploration. Give yourself time to sample all those tasks. See if you could get a part-time job at the local baker. Perhaps volunteer at the hospital in pediatrics. See if there’s an opportunity for you to work as an aide in the school. The idea now is to sample. Once you find that something is to your liking, then you can move toward it.