Is Talking to Myself a Problem?

I’m 15 and an avid movie goer, and I also enjoy watching all kinds of TV shows and anime. Whenever a character’s personality strikes me as being interesting or cool, I have the urge to copy him/her. I’ll be in my room repeating the same things they say and saying it the same way. I also reply myself using multiple accents at once and pretend its a conversation. I do realise I am doing this, and I do realise it is rather strange, but I can’t NOT do it. Its like an impulse. Aside from this I live a really normal life, no family tragedies, no abuse, no bullying.

A: On one level, this sounds kind of fun. You seem to have a vivid imagination and a talent for mimicry. You have a private world where you can entertain yourself and relive movies that make you happy. It makes me wonder if you will become involved with moviemaking yourself someday.

The only thing that is a bit of a concern is your statement that you can’t NOT do it. I wonder if it’s become a way for you to reduce stress and work out feelings of anxiety. If so, it sounds harmless to me. But maybe you want to find other ways to shake off anxious feelings as well. That way you would have choices and you would be more in control of what you do.