Am I Depressed?

Hi, I’m 15 years old and have been experiencing deep sadness that no matter what I do I can’t get rid of. I have self harmed and do have suicidal thoughts a lot. I truly hate myself and think I’m a disgusting human being. I was just wondering am I depressed or is the just normal for a high school girl?

A. Deep sadness, self-harm and suicidal thoughts are not normal for anyone. They are always a sign of someone who is experiencing extreme emotional distress. It’s possible the you have depression. To know with certainty, you should be evaluated by a mental health professional. An evaluation will uncover what is wrong and determine the appropriate course of treatment.

Many people enter therapy after attempting to correct their problems on their own. Many people wait too long to enter therapy and needlessly suffer because they hold the belief that they “should” be able to solve their own problems. When one is experiencing the symptoms that you have described, it’s advisable to seek professional help. Suicidal thoughts are indicative of someone who is losing hope. Suicidal thoughts should always be taken seriously and professional help should be sought immediately.

You should report these symptoms to your parents and ask them to take you to a mental health professional. You should not keep these problems a secret or continue trying to deal with them on your own. Therapy has helped many, many people and it can help you too. I hope you will take my advice. Please take care.