My Depression is Changing

I’ve been living with depression for about 5 years but only got help for it at the start of March, 2013. I want to know if it’s possible for depression to change, because for the past year, I think my depression is changing because I don’t think the way I used to. Things(tall cloaked, transparent beings) follow me. I hear music playing when it’s not. I hear my name. I don’t know what to do about this or how to stop it, it’s driving me crazy.

It’s like there are 30 odd different TV channels on at the same time and I can’t concentrate on one thing.

My family said I’ve started to act strange and that I’m talking to myself when I didn’t realise I was talking to myself. I can’t grasp hold of any singular thought either it just slips away. I keep hearing my phone vibrate in the corner of my room but I know it’s not there because I’m using it to type this out.

My suicidal thoughts and self harm have gotten worse and while my knows about this I wanted a second opinion before I get theirs.

A. When someone sees or hears things that are not there they are hallucinating. Hallucinations are associated with psychotic disorders. Depression is a mood disorder. People with major depressive disorder can experience psychotic symptoms but it is not common.

Talking to yourself and having difficulty with concentration are not necessarily symptoms of any one particular disorder.

Suicidal thoughts and having a desire to engage in self-injurious behaviors are associated with a number of mental health disorders, including depression but others as well.

Your depression symptoms seem to be becoming more severe. It’s also possible that you are developing symptoms of other mental health disorders, separate from depression.

I can’t offer a specific diagnosis over the Internet but consulting a mental health professional will help you to determine what is wrong. You waited five years to seek treatment for depression. Don’t make that mistake with this new set of symptoms. Be proactive. Seek help immediately. Please take care.