Cloudy Mind and Depressed

Over the last 4 years there have been periods, usually spanning a few months during the summer and early fall, when I feel depressed.

I am normally a very confident person, but for the last 2 months I have noticed my mind becoming cloudy, which has disabled my ability to think as I used to. As such, I have become nervous around people (even good friends). In conversations, the right words that used to flow so easily to me no longer appear. I feel dull and cannot find anything interesting to talk about.

I am usually a very positive person but have been agitated and depressed lately. I have noticed that my will power has gone down tremendously as I have contemplated quitting my part time job just because I have no urge to go to work.

I am a very healthy person and I workout at least 4 times a week. After I exercise I feel much better, but that feeling only lasts a few hours, then I become depressed and unable to think clearly again. It seems as if the only way for me to feel normal again is if I constantly work out, but I find that I tend to exhaust myself in doing so.

I am fed up with myself…I have a great life and am very thankful for it. But my inability to think clearly is diminishing my will to live.

A. Depression may be a possibility but it would be advantageous to undergo a medical evaluation to determine if there is a physical problem. Fatigue and exhaustion may be side effects of thyroid problems or other medical problems.

If I were interviewing you in person, I would also inquire about your sleep habits. Inconsistent sleep patterns can make someone feel exhausted. If you’re getting inadequate amounts of sleep, this could be contributing to the problem.

I would encourage you to begin documenting how you feel and when you feel it. Having this documentation can help you to uncover what may be wrong. There seems to be a pattern to your symptoms.

I’m also curious about what exactly you mean by “clouded thinking.” It’s unclear whether or not this is related to depression. It may be that during these periods of time you are fatigued and that would then explain your cloudiness.

In addition to having a physical evaluation, I would also recommend seeing a mental health professional. Undergoing a mental health evaluation could help to determine what is wrong. You may not need therapy but it’s always wise to consult a specialist in case a mental health problem is present. Please take care.

Mental Health & Criminal Justice Blog