Need Help for Psychological Problems

Hi, I’m a 14 year old boy. I don’t know how to word this, but I need help with some problems I am having in my life. I took an online test to see if I had any mental problems, because I’ve had some things happen in my life and I needed to know. The test told me I have disorders such as: Paranoid, Schizoid, Schizotypal, Antisocial, Borderline, Avoidant, and Obsessive-Compulsive disorder. At first I didn’t know what these disorder were, so I looked it up, and to tell the truth, they all describe me pretty accurately. I have also, in the past showed signs of mpd, such as: loss of time, blackouts, etc. I haven’t gone to my family with any problems because I don’t feel like I can trust them, as my parents neglect me and the rest of my family treats me like a desiese. At the age of only 14, I have already lost track of how many times I have tried to kill myself. I consistently beat myself and cause myself harm, and I can’t stop. My family is poor, and I don’t want them to know until they have to, so trying to get a phsyciotrist has been out of the question. Sorry that my question is so long, but I constantly feel as though I need to tell someone. Thank you if you have read all of my question, and if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know.

A. You have done the right thing by writing to us at Psych Central. You recognize that you need help and are inquiring about how to get it. It’s an important first step.

I’m concerned about the fact that you have “lost track of how many times” you’ve tried to kill yourself. It’s also concerning that you “beat yourself, cause yourself harm and can’t stop.” You are clearly suffering.

There is something wrong if you are attempting to end your life and are engaging in self- injurious behavior. Typically, people do those sorts of things when they are suffering emotionally. Their emotional pain is so severe that they mistakenly believe that suicide or self-harm will decrease their level of suffering.

The bottom line is that you need professional mental health treatment. You stated that your family is poor and that getting help is “out of the question.” There is help for you and this is how you can get it: speak to your school guidance counselor or a trusted member of the school faculty. Report your concerns. You mentioned blackouts and it’s important that they are also reported. Blackouts may be indicative of a medical problem.

After you have reported your concerns, someone at the school will assist you in acquiring medical and psychological services. They may also contact your parents to speak to them about the best course of action.

I hope that you take my advice and report your problems. It’s the best way to handle this situation. If you feel that you might harm yourself, then it is imperative that you go to an emergency room or call 911. Please take care.

Mental Health & Criminal Justice Blog